Sunday, May 26, 2019

5/26/2019. DALE EARNHARDT JR. ESTIMATES SUFFERING 25 CONCUSSIONS DURING NASCAR CAREER

Welcome to Kenny Rogers Gambling Blog



Please scroll down to middle of page to read article about
 Dale Earnhardt, Jr.

Today's article is about DALE EARNHARDT JR. ESTIMATES SUFFERING 25 CONCUSSIONS DURING NASCAR CAREER.

What Dale went thru with his concussions...he should be called   Ironman Dale.


(Alot of this info came from In depth With YouTube interviews with sports reporter Graham Bensinger-Dale Earnhardt, Jr), NY Times and Google Search Engine.



He revealed a fear of dying and compromise during a syndicated TV interview.

  
In the years leading up to his retirement, and certainly in the months afterward, Dale Earnhardt Jr. has become something of an advocate for better understanding concussions for athletes.
The 43-year-old has already pledged to donate his brain to science after his death and has been very candid about his experiences dealing with head trauma throughout his career.
So it comes to no surprise that NASCAR’s most popular modern driver would address the topic in his upcoming biography and the media blitz that accompanied it.

In a series of YouTube interviews with sports reporter Graham Bensinger, Earnhardt speculated that he kept at least 20 concussions from NASCAR over his 20-year career and simply drove through them. Earnhardt was first sidelined due to concussions in 2012, following a 25-car crash at Talladega Superspeedway.

He missed the second half of the 2016 season with another bout.
But this was far from the first two times that Earnhardt believes he likely should have been sat down and prevented from turning laps on the track.

"Your brain is your computer, and people don’t have the faith in it healing like a broken bone," Earnhardt said in the interview conducted at his North Carolina home. "This is in the past where guys have had head injuries, and visually, you can see that it’s affected them permanently. So if you go to somebody and go, 'Man, you know I rung my bell, and I’m real messed up, and I’m gonna take a break and I’m gonna come back 100 percent,' you know that person's always gonna have that in the back of their mind.

 "And when you don’t run a good race, are they gonna go, 'Hmm, I wonder if he’s just not the same anymore'? You know? I’ve heard that talk about other drivers. Even guys that don’t have any history of concussions, I’ve heard people say, 'You know he did have a lot of hard wrecks.'" 

And through it all, Earnhardt had a fear of dying, secretly recording his symptoms on his phone -- wanting a public record to be available just in case something happened to him.

"I felt compromised in my head," he said. "I felt delicate. And if I was to have another random, rare, high-impact crash that could injure me severely -- so severely that I wouldn’t be able to communicate properly … I wanted there to be some sort of documentation of what had been happening to me and what I’d been going through."

Even though Earnhardt believes he suffered over 20 concussions during his career, he pinpoints just one that he fully suspects ended his career.

He suffered through a testing crash at Kansas Speedway in 2012. He believes the impact from hitting the wall made him more susceptible to further damage after that incident.

"I remember thinking as I was heading toward that fence, 'This is going to be an insane, insane impact,'" Earnhardt recalled. "And I hit the wall at 190 miles an hour and my head is right against that headrest and it’s as stiff as a roll bar, and so my head didn’t go anywhere and everything inside of it went into high-speed movement, and my brain just compacts against the inside of my skull at an incredible force …

"There’s not any situation that I can think of that would result in a harder impact in racing. And if it doesn’t happen to me, I probably don’t cut my career short. I’m probably still driving race cars today. But that wreck made it easier, I think, for me to get concussions beyond that instance."


Earnhardt will return to NASCAR in an Xfinity Series one-off later this month at Richmond Raceway in Virginia, his only planned stock car race since his retirement. He hasn’t decided if he will make additional appearances next season.

He is a full-time color analyst with NBC Sports, taking up the majority of his professional time. He and wife, Amy, welcomed their first child, daughter Isla Rose Earnhardt back in May.

"Every time I look at Isla, I want to cry," he said days after her birth. "Every time I look at Amy and her together -- when Amy’s holding her or feeding her -- I just can’t believe this is in my life."

The book was co-written by Ryan McGee and titled “Racing to The Finish: My Story,” and will be released on Oct. 6. The full interview with Bensinger will air this weekend in syndication.

Bringing Concussions Out of the Darkness

from the NY Times...

 

How many other drivers are suffering concussions or symptoms.



I used to hide my suffering. But I’ve learned that brain injuries don’t have to be permanent. 




  • Oct. 23, 2018


I never wanted to be a concussion expert. I know some of the world’s leading authorities on head injuries and I’m certainly not one of them, but “expert” is a relative term. My expertise comes from personal experience.

During my two decades behind the wheel as a full-time Nascar driver, I suffered more than a dozen concussions. For a long time, I managed to keep most of them a secret, but then my symptoms got too severe to keep up the charade and I was forced to get help. My battle with head injuries has given me a wealth of firsthand knowledge of the causes, symptoms, and types of concussions, and their treatments.
Racers get every injury you can think of, from broken legs to cracked collarbones.

But it was concussions, not fractures, that forced me to retire as a full-time Nascar driver in 2017. Twice I was pushed out of the driver’s seat because of concussion-related symptoms, missing two major races in 2012 and an entire half-season in 2016.

During the four years in between I had other injuries too, but I kept them hidden until doctors intervened and told me to get out of my car. In the days following a race, I would often feel disoriented and confused, detached from my body. Some people experience sharp headaches or ringing in the ears when concussed. For me, my balance was off and my mind felt swishy, lagging behind whatever my body was trying to do.

In 1998, at the Daytona 300, my Chevy was tossed into the air and slammed down so hard on its nose that my helmet dented the steel roll cage. Later that week when I was working inside a car at the shop, I suddenly felt the car rolling. I sat up and realized it hadn’t moved an inch. I’d eventually find out my vestibular system — the communication lines between the brain, inner ear and body — had been damaged.

But at the time, driven by a will to win and a hardheaded racing tradition of never showing vulnerability, I concealed my suffering. I would usually rally by the time the next race weekend came around. Still, the stress chemicals produced by the anxiety of keeping my secret worsened my condition. And as I got older, I needed longer and longer to recover.

I persisted because it’s what racecar drivers are supposed to do. You tough it out. I also believed then what so many still do now: that a concussion is permanent. I worried if I revealed how I really felt, my peers on the racetrack would see me as damaged goods.
Those same myths and fears affect football players and construction workers, kids playing youth sports and even people who get in the odd car accident on their way to the office. But these myths lead us to make uninformed decisions that harm our lives and livelihoods. A recent Harris Poll commissioned by the doctors who treated me at the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center’s Sports Medicine Concussion Program found that 25 percent of parents prevent their children from playing contact sports because of concussion concern

I’m a parent now and I would never tell someone how to raise his child. And I don’t deny the estimate that there are 1.7 million to three million sports-related concussions a year.
However, I am sure that there is a middle ground, that we can encourage our kids both to be active and competitive — and to be safe. Research shows that concussion risks can be reduced by playing smarter and using the proper equipment.

When concussions do occur, it’s important to remember that brain injuries can be treated and healed like any other athletic injury — but only if the proper steps are taken, the right doctors are reached and the prescribed treatment is followed through to the end.

That treatment is not easy. I’d never been a gym guy, but I learned how to become one. My rehabilitation in 2016 was the hardest I have ever worked. I wasn’t told to sit in a dark room, the stereotypical treatment for concussion. That’s not how it works anymore. Instead, I was pushed mentally and physically through fine motor skill tuning, exhausting computer-based eye tests, and a lot of old-fashioned cardio. 

After months of work I could feel my brain, eyes, ears and body communicating properly again.
I also felt my life returning. The constant, dull feeling of fear lifted. I was smiling again.
Now, I tell my story to let people know they don’t have to silently walk it off. I tell it to my racing friends who confess they’ve also been suffering in secret and to many others who’ve never raced a lap. I’ve given out the phone number to my doctor, Micky Collins at the University of Pittsburgh, more times than I can count in the past few years. And when those people reconnect later to tell me that Micky and his team have given them their lives back, it feels like winning a race.

The advancements in brain science since my first major injury in 2012 are incredible. But all that science won’t mean much if those of us who are hurting don’t come out of hiding and allow it to be put to use.

I don’t blame my sport for my suffering. Neither do the other professional athletes I know who love their sport every bit as much as I love mine. And people hurt on the job performing other tasks are likely just as passionate about what they do.

 

I will always wonder how many more races I could have won or how much longer I could have raced if not for my stubbornness.


Don’t make the mistakes I made. Help is out there. You just have to ask.
Dale Earnheart, JR

Wow, Concussions are killing drivers, their families and everyone related to racing and sports. Help is out there, so please tell someone that you are suffering concussions!

No comments:

Post a Comment